Beinecke Memorial Scholarships carry awards of $34,000 for graduate study in the arts, humanities and social sciences. Twenty scholarships are awarded nationally each year. UT Austin will nominate one student for the national competition. Further information is available on the Beinecke Memorial Scholarship website.
Conditions of Eligibility
- Be a UT Austin junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or Liberal Arts. “Junior” means a student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a bachelor’s degree the year following the application.
- Demonstrate superior intellectual ability, scholastic achievement and personal promise. UT Austin applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.8.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Have a documented history of receiving need-based financial aid during his or her undergraduate years. Evidence of this must be provided on the Financial Data Sheet. The amount of financial need will not be a major determining factor, but preference is given to candidates for whom the scholarship would increase the likelihood of the student’s being able to attend graduate school.
- A completed application form
- A current résumé
- A personal statement of 1,000 words or less, describing your background, interests, plans for graduate study and career aspirations. The statement should include a discussion of some experiences and ideas that have shaped those interests, plans and aspirations.
- An official copy of your UT Austin transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from UT Austin faculty members that assess your intellectual curiosity, character and potential for advanced graduate study
- A Financial Data Sheet completed by a UT Austin Financial Services officer, certifying that you qualify for need-based financial aid
Students should discuss the application process with Professor Douglas Bruster, coordinator of UT Austin’s postbaccalaureate programs, as soon as possible in the fall semester prior to applying. Completed applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22, 2020 for the internal UT competition. Letters of recommendation may be emailed to the same address