The National Science Foundation’s Graduate Research Fellowship Program provides funding to outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees at accredited institutions in the U.S. Fellows receive a stipend of $34,000 for up to three years, plus a cost-of-education allowance of $12,000 to the graduate-degree granting institution during the fellowship year.
Conditions of Eligibility
- S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
- Intend to enroll or be enrolled full-time in a research-based graduate degree in an eligible STEM Field of Study (includes Social Sciences)
- Have never previously accepted a GRFP award
- Have never earned a doctoral degree
- Have never earned a master’s, professional, or bachelor’s-master’s degree in any field, unless returning to graduate study after an interruption of at least two years
- Materials have to be submitted electronically to the NSF FastLane GRFP Application Module
- Three reference letters
- Personal statement
- Graduate research plan statement
Late October, varies by discipline. Please see the NSF GRFP site for more information.